I have discontinued my face up book at this time (Face Up Handbook) because the technique in it is very outdated to how I work now. The basic principle is there, but the skill level is no where near where I'm at now.
I am working on a new face up book now and I plan on bringing it out as an ebook and a physical copy as well. I will be publishing it probably though Createspace because I can name my own price without having to worry about production cost. I've been using the Blurb platform for it because it's really nice. I've got a good chunk of it done, but the face ups are still missing from it. That's right, it won't be just one face up, it'll be three. I have one face up documented for it, but I might not use that one and wait to get another commission for a goth face up because I don't like the lighting in the shots. Either way I'm hoping to have it ready by summer.
In other news, I managed to pick up a few commissions locally. I have now two dolls to work on, a Doll Chateau Dolores and a Sweet Dolls Fairy Line Alexa. I already got the face up done on the Dolores, but his body blush is going to take forever because he's so big. I'll be working on the fairy first because she'll be simple. She's technically a 1/6 scale, but with MSD proportions. She's also a 3D print, which I've never worked on before. It'll be interesting.
Anyway, onto some pictures of the DC Dolores!
He's really handsome and fun to work on. I love the contours of his face, they are very pretty. Almost makes me wish I had one in my collection, but only almost. A friend of mine owns him so I can play with him basically at any point really that we meet up at.
Someone asked me on a forum to take WIP shots while working on a face up. With Christmas just having been I got a new doll from my dad as a gift, a DZ Stramonium in tan. She is so pretty. I didn't care for the face up she came with so I did my own as soon as possible while taking pictures.
The head is clean and sealed and the scar is applied with white (PVA) glue. It takes forever for the glue to dry, so if you're going to do scars, be prepared to wait up to an hour before you can start blushing. The glue dries clear.
I always start with eyebrows for two reasons; one, that's how I was taught, and two, it sets the mood for the whole face up. I also blushed the scar a bit to match it to the tan resin. Now to seal again.
Blushing applied here and there to bring color and life to the face. I use peach tones and some muted mauve colors to bring depth to the features. After this I seal again to make sure I can detail.
Details! Here I flushed out the lips fully, added eyelashes and defined the eyebrows. At this point I'm done with the painting part so now to seal again twice.
The final step is to gloss and applying eyelashes. At this point the face up is done. All that's left is to wait for the glue to dry on the eyelashes.
And that concludes my face up process. As you see it really isn't that involved. I will document this face up soon properly to add to my examples.
Yesterday I decided to finally blush Winter's hooves. It was a bit of a challenge because they are so stained.
When I bought them second hand I didn't know they would be so stained because they were covered in about two layers of acrylic paint. I first scrubbed off the first layer, and then I soaked the hooves in rubbing alcohol for 24 hours. That got the rest of the paint off, but they were still rather stained because of how porous the resin is due to the hand cast nature of them.
Either way, I decided to challenge myself with the fantasy blush of them, at least a little bit. I originally wanted the hooves darker than the fur, but I got a bit impatient so I simply painted cracks on them. I experimented with my pastels a bit and managed to even splatter them like acrylic paint. Now once I learn how to paint on eyelashes and eyebrow hairs without the watercolor pencils I feel like I'll level up!
And here she is before and after. It's amazing what a difference a face up and wig makes. That is literally the same doll, there you can also see her original hoof blush. It looked nice from a distance, but not so much up close.
That's right, I have pretty much nothing to work on right now. I just have a pair of ears to paint that I'm sending out as a gift to a penpal.
If you're looking for someone to paint your doll, look no further, I am available. I've managed to keep my turn around time still within under a month. I'm quite proud of that because I work about 40 hours a week at my day job and have other things to do as well when I'm not working.
I was finally able to finish the Soom FCE Shale, just in time too! I still need to restring him and suede his ankles to keep him from chipping all the hard work I put into him. I gave him a face up, blushed all his fantasy parts, a tattoo on his chest, and did a manicure on him. I'm rather happy with how the work turned out.
The white in the hooves is just there to protect the hooves from chipping until I put the suede in him. I did put gloss on the hooves and sprayed them down a few times with MSC to dull the shine.
I also worked back into the cat boy from the last commission because the commissioner changed their mind on the eyelashes. Luckily they came off easy and I didn't have to redo much of the face up at all. Good thing too.
Iza's Face Ups
Welcome to the blog area of my site. Here you get to see my progress shots and the such of what I work on. Also I post news here. Enjoy!
To Do List: